Sunday, 25 October 2009

Alcatraz & San Francisco

Today Katie, Ian, Aaron and I got up bright and early to take the BART in to San Francisco for our Alcatraz Tour. We made it into the city right about the time we needed to be at the Pier so we ended up catching a cab as it was tough to get our bearings as to where and what transit would be best!

Alcatraz was really quite a beautiful island with amazing views of the city... incredible agave gardens... even the old buildings were quite the sight to be seen. We decided we didn't want to bother with the audio tour and just walked about.

We attempted to wander through the Fisherman's Wharf but there was a children's Halloween event going on so it was way to busy to spend any time enjoyably at. We did make sure that we stopped to see the Sea Lions... can I even explain the stink? No... I can't in nice terms on the blog... but lets just say it was the most foul thing ever!

As it was about 1 o'clock we decided we needed to find some lunch as none of us had eaten anything yet except for Aaron who had a snack on the Alcatraz boat, and we did not want to stay at the Wharf, so we headed to North Beach (Italian area) walking up these steep beautiful streets only to find that all they had was crowded little cafes on the sidewalks. We kept wandering and wandering and eventually got stuck in the middle of Chinatown which pretty much looked like what you picture a crazy busy New York street to look like. It was very chaotic and it was about this point where we all started feeling tired and frustrated. We got out of there as fast as we could and finally saw a McDonald's in the Banking District and said, yes... lets go there... and it was closed!!! McDonald's was closed... weirdest thing ever. We even came upon closed Starbucks! Long story short... after 2 hours of walking and finding no food, we got back on the BART and headed back to Concord to go to the Old Spaghetti factory where we all completely cleaned our plates!

The rest of this evening has been us all lazing about... I went out to Walgreen's and Safeway to see if I could find anything fun to buy... but still, other than a couple souvenirs at Alcatraz, my shopping has been minimal! Katie, Aaron and I will be off to the mall tomorrow and then I will head for home. I can't believe how quick time has passed!

No comments:

Post a Comment