I found something cool in our backyard! Last night I was
cleaning up apples off the ground for the green waste removal today and I found
a bunch of mushrooms growing out of the ground… without really thinking about
it I started knocking them down because I didn’t want Kona to start munching on
something that I have no clue whether its poisonous or not. Then I remembered I had
heard that there are tonnes of varieties of mushrooms in the Okanagan so I
stopped wrecking them so I could figure out what they were. This morning (since
it got too dark last night) I did some research and took some pictures (of course)
and discovered I have Shaggy Mane growing in our
back yard! They are edible… so I blocked off the area they are growing to
protect them from the dogs to see what happens. I don’t know if I will eat them
but it’s a really neat thing to have growing in the yard!
I did some research to find out more about them and here is a bit about Shaggy Mane Mushrooms if you're interested!
Shaggy Mane
Coprinus comatus- cap is up to 15cm wide, narrow, cylidrical, white, and covered in thin, shaggy red/brown scales.
- older specimens have a cap that is bell-shaped.
- flesh is white, soft.
- gills are narrowly attached to the stem and white/grey when young.
- the flesh and gills of older specimens liquefies into a black inky mass.
- partial veil leaves an inferior, possibly moveable ring on the white stem.
- grows scattered or grouped together in grassy areas covering decomposing wood.
- appears in early spring and late fall.
- has a pleasant taste with no odor; cook before eating.
- tip: collect younger specimens and/or remove blackening areas which have a more bitter taste.
- tip: cooking with water shortly after collecting helps to prevent the dish from turning into a black inky mess.
- an edible look-alike is Coprinus sterquilinus, which similar in appearance but smaller, with fewer scales and growing on dung.
Info taken from http://northernbushcraft.com/mushrooms/shaggyMane/notes.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment