We were on our way to Aunt Bettina and Uncle Donald's for dinner when we came across smoke, and a lot of it. As everyone now knows, north Peachland was on fire. We cancelled our dinner plans and headed back to the house. There was winds like I have never experienced before... I think I heard they were 100mph. Brian and I started packing, what else was there to do? We loaded up the truck with anything important, clothing, etc and waited. I have never been faced with anything like this before and it was scary. It was a sleepless night waking up to the smells of campfire coming through the window, although, familiar... it was not a happy smell. When I got up for work in the morning, I wasn't sure if I would be able to get there, but the highway was clear. It was so sad to drive through and see the bright orange burning embers along the side of the highway and up the mountain.
Ultimately, we were lucky and didn't get evacuated, but the fire was only a few kilometers from the house. Thank you to everyone who called, texted, emailed... Honestly, I didn't expect the out pour of concern from everyone... family, cousins, friends, old and new co-workers. Thank you to all.
Pictures below are what I took when we were out driving around trying to assess what to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment